Adams County Government
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Civil Engineer III - Senior Engineer
at Adams County Government
- What Success Looks Like In This Job
Civil Engineer III: Perform professional and complex engineering work involving the review and design of the proposed development, roadway design, drainage system design, utility plans, and environmental assessment studies for its compliance with local, state, and federal standards and regulations. Design and manage Capital Improvement Projects, prepare engineering plans, specifications, and construction bids.
Plan and organize professional and technical engineering operations for Capital Improvement Projects, which include: selecting consultants, reviewing engineering plans, reports, and specifications, such as: roadway design and traffic control plans, bridge designs, utility plans, drainage plans, and stormwater quality plans, and other submittals for compliance with the County, State, and Federal regulations; select contractors; coordinate project activities with public and private entities; and manage the budgets for the various assigned CIP projects. All work is to be accomplished with a focus on Customer Service at all times.
Hiring for this position will be based on years of experience in the engineering field.
- Examples of Duties for Success
- Prepare and maintain technical civil engineering records and prepare comprehensive reports; perform special assignments on engineering problems as necessary; prepare specific studies for other County staff.
- Attend Board of County Commissioners, and other public meetings as directed.
- Respond to public or other inquiries relative to engineering policies and procedures on specific projects and other information. Answer questions and provide information to the public; investigate complaints and recommend corrective actions as necessary to resolve complaints.
- Provide technical and professional engineering support services relative to capital improvements and current development. Answer questions and provide information to the public; investigate complaints and recommend corrective actions as necessary to resolve complaints.
- Prepare engineering designs, specifications, costs and quantity estimates of public work projects; identify required easements or permits for roadway, drainage and other public works projects.
- Prepare requests for proposals and bids; review contract bids & proposals; assist in the coordination & review of consultants' design work.
- Participate in the planning of the proposed projects and make recommendations in establishing schedules and budgets.
- Review, design, or modify both development and capital improvement project plans for compliance with local, state, and federal requirements.
- Identify and plan required capital improvement projects for system expansion.
- Perform other related duties and responsibilities as required.
- Qualifications for Success
- Apply principles and practices of civil engineering.
- Apply principles and practices of roadway and drainage system design.
- Apply principles and practices of project management.
- Apply principles of mathematics as applied to engineering work.
- Resolve regulatory, public relations and system design questions.
- Serve as project lead and/or manage assigned engineering projects.
- Ensure project compliance with appropriate federal, state, and local rules, laws, and regulations.
- Perform technical research and solve multi-disciplinary engineering problems.
- Communicate clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing.
- Establish, maintain and foster positive and harmonious working relationships with those contacted in the course of work.
Does not exercise direct supervision over staff. Serves as a Project Lead and/or Project Manager and provides coaching/mentoring to junior engineering staff.
- More Qualifications for Success
- Civil Engineer III: Minimum of six (6) years of increasingly responsible professional civil engineering experience.
- Senior Engineer: Minimum of ten (10) years of increasingly responsible professional civil engineering experience.
- Hiring will be based on years of experience in the engineering field.
- Education and Training:
- Civil Engineer III & Senior Engineer: Bachelor’s Degree in Civil Engineering from an accredited college or university.
- License or Certificate:
- Civil Engineer III & Senior Engineer:
- Current registration as a Professional Engineer (PE) in the State of Colorado is required.
- Must possess, or have the ability to obtain, a valid Colorado Driver's License.
- Civil Engineer III & Senior Engineer:
- Background check: Must pass a criminal (CBI) background check.