City of Aurora
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Engineer Supervisor - Transportation Project Delivery
at City of Aurora
- Summary of Job Duties
City of Aurora, Colorado
It is an exciting time to work for the City of Aurora, we're growing and looking for dedicated and collaborative individuals to join our team of talented and valued employees. Excellent organizations have a set of principles, or core values, that are used to implement their mission and vision. Those values represent the touchstone for the organization, guiding the decisions of the individuals and the organization. At the City of Aurora, we demonstrate our excellence by modeling the CORE 4 Values of: Integrity, Respect, Professionalism, and??Customer Service, and we welcome all who share these values to apply.
Why Work for Aurora?
- Make a difference in the lives of real people every day
- Diverse community
- Competitive total compensation package
- Well-Funded General Employees Retirement Plan
- Light rail station minutes away
- On-site fitness center and overall employee well-being programs
- Internal educational programs to assist with career advancement
- Access to innovation workspaces
The mission of the Public Works Department is to effectively promote and maintain a high level of economic welfare and quality of life in Aurora through the planning, design, construction, inspection, review, approval and maintenance of Aurora's transportation and drainage infrastructure.
Plans, coordinates, and performs expert professional engineering work under the supervision and direction of the Transportation Project Delivery Manager to support the transportation engineering functions of the Engineering Services Division of the Public Works Department.
Includes direct supervision of other engineers also planning, coordinating, and performing complex work in the primary areas of transportation planning, improvement projects, and program management. Responsible for management of projects beginning with initial scoping and through construction closeout.
The City of Aurora will conduct ongoing screenings of applications on a first-come, first-served basis; as soon as we determine to have a qualified pool of applicants, this position may close quickly and without notice.
- PRIMARY DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Supervises transportation project delivery staff, acts as a team leader for engineers, technicians and other support personnel
- Supervises, evaluates, trains and instructs assigned staff; Develops operational priorities, goals, and objectives
- Participates as a supervisor in selection, hiring, training, evaluating and disciplining assigned employees
- Work in a multi-disciplinary team to support Public Works projects and functions
- Establishes plans, schedules, project priorities, and reviews the work of direct reports in preparing plans, specifications and cost estimates for projects and may serve as engineer of record
- Manages professional design consultants; manages schedule and project budget and technically reviews submittals
- Responsible for management of publicly bid transportation construction projects; Manages contractors, coordinates City inspections, reviews pay applications and closes out the project
- Assists in design of interdepartmental complex engineering projects; Provides technical expertise to other departments and divisions
- Represent the City with both external and internal parties, including but not limited to coordinating with outside agencies on interagency projects
- Attends and presents at public meetings and City Council
- Coordinates Intergovernmental Agreements with neighboring jurisdictions
- Responds to citizen complaints and inquiries
- Develops and implements work procedures and policies
- May perform additional duties as assigned
- MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
- Bachelor's Degree in engineering or directly related field
- Seven (7) years progressively responsible professional engineering work in assigned function
- Supervisory experience is preferred
- Experience in municipal engineering preferred
- Knowledge of principles, practices, and theories of transportation and civil engineering
- Knowledge of current engineering principles and practices
- Familiarity with the City of Aurora Roadway Design and Construction Specifications
- Knowledge of roadway construction practices is preferred
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with employees and citizens
- Handle sensitive situations with tact and diplomacy
- Communicate effectively both orally and in writing with the public, commissions, elected officials, and city staff regarding projects and issues
- Establish and fulfill goals and objectives
- Effectively supervise other employees
- Plan and schedule work unit operations
- Interpret codes and criteria
- Experience with Autodesk Civil3D design software is preferred
- Make decisions and solve complex technical problems
- Strong interpersonal, analytical and organizational skills
- Skills in the use of field and office engineering instruments and equipment
Licenses and Certifications:
- Registration as a Professional Engineer (PE) with the State of Colorado or ability to obtain through reciprocity from another state within six (6) months of employment
- Colorado driver's license with a good driving history
- WORKING CONDITIONS
- Physical Demands:
- Light to sedentary physical work requiring the ability to lift a maximum of 10 pounds
- Occasional lifting and carrying
- Frequent walking and standing for field work and meetings
- Vision to read and interpret reports and other written documents as well as produce design work
- Hand/eye coordination for operation of a computer keyboard and engineering instruments
- Hand/foot/eye coordination to operate a motor vehicle
- Frequent speech communication and hearing to maintain communication with employees and citizens
- Works primarily in a clean, comfortable environment with occasional outdoor work including exposure to varying weather conditions, noise and dust, and traffic
- Computer and engineering instruments; electronic components; motor vehicle
- This position may require the incumbent to occasionally use personal equipment (e.g. vehicle, cell phone, tools, etc.) in the course of their employment
For Veterans points: Please show all of your employment history, including military service and related documentation (DD214) on the application.
The City of Aurora is an equal opportunity employer. We are required by state and federal agencies to keep certain statistical records on applicants. It will not be used in any way to discriminate against you because of your sex, race, age, sexual orientation, creed, national origin, disability or military status, gender identity, unless related to a bona fide occupational qualification as defined by the Colorado Civil Rights Commission and the Equal Opportunity Commission.
If you need assistance in completing this application, please feel free to contact our office at: 303-739-7225 or visit us at 15151 E Alameda Pkwy., Suite 3500, Aurora, CO 80012.
Despite the changes in Colorado law, the City of Aurora maintains a drug-free workplace. A positive test of marijuana is grounds for disqualification and ineligibility for employment with the city for one year or termination once hired.
Drug Testing, Thorough Criminal Background Check, and Employment References:
As a condition of employment, all applicants selected for employment with the City of Aurora must undergo a thorough criminal background check and drug screening. Employment references will be conducted on finalists for City of Aurora vacancies.