City of Aurora
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
SCADA Junior Engineer
at City of Aurora
- Summary of Job Duties
City of Aurora, Colorado
It is an exciting time to work for the City of Aurora, we're growing and looking for dedicated and collaborative individuals to join our team of talented and valued employees. Excellent organizations have a set of principles, or core values, that are used to implement their mission and vision. Those values represent the touchstone for the organization, guiding the decisions of the individuals and the organization. At the City of Aurora, we demonstrate our excellence by modeling the CORE 4 Values of: Integrity, Respect, Professionalism, and Customer Service, and we welcome all who share these values to apply.
Why Work for Aurora?
- Make a difference in the lives of real people every day
- Diverse community
- Competitive total compensation package
- Well-Funded General Employees Retirement Plan
- Light rail station minutes away
- On-site fitness center and overall employee well-being programs
- Internal educational programs to assist with career advancement
- Access to innovation workspaces
Aurora Water is responsible for the operation and maintenance of the drinking water, sanitary sewer and storm drainage systems, treatment of drinking water and non-potable reclaimed wastewater for irrigation, billing and collection, public outreach and water conservation, acquisition and development of future water rights, major capital projects programs, and quality control for regulatory compliance and public health.
The SCADA Junior Engineer position will support the SCADA Senior Engineer to provide subject matter expertise and implementation on SCADA related projects including treatment plants, pump stations, PRVs and other remotely controlled and monitored facilities in the department. Provide high-level skilled and technical field services for capital projects with Instrumentation and Controls (I&C) systems, Supervisory Control and Data Acquisition (SCADA) systems, network systems, radio systems, motor control equipment, security and electrical systems.
The City of Aurora will conduct ongoing screenings of applications on a first-come, first-serve basis; as soon as we determine to have a qualified pool of applicants, this position may close quickly and without notice.
- PRIMARY DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Conduct Programable Logic Controllers (PLC) and Human Machine Interface (HMI) programming workshops, Factory Acceptance Testing (FAT) and Site Acceptance Testing (SAT) for Aurora Water projects.
- Contribute at project related meetings, such as but not limited to: kick-off, design, planning, and progress meetings.
- Provide detailed technical reviews, and quality assurance/quality control on submittals for conformance to Aurora Water SCADA standards regarding: plans, specifications, tag naming conventions, Programming Code (PLC, OIT, and HMI), Instrumentation, Communications, Networks, PLC panel construction, and associated wiring.
- Work with the Technical Operations group in the review, testing and construction of highly complex instrumentation, controls, electrical, electronic, pneumatic, security, motor control, and telemetry systems for the Aurora Water Department.
- Provide detailed technical review of submittals and associated field inspections of complex electrical (primary electrical feeds / ARC Flash / etc.), communications, network, and security systems
- Coordinate with Owners and field technicians for on-site commissioning and installation support
- Provide field services (reviews/inspections/ etc.) for new construction, renovation, or improvement projects.
- Assist in the development of punch lists and coordinates with the Technical Operations group, Owner, Contractor, and Project Manager to verify completion of the punch list.
- Interface with other departments, employees, and outside consultants regarding system capabilities, functions, programs, and applications.
- Assist in the review, development, and maintenance of the department's SCADA Design & Engineering Guidelines and the SCADA Master Plan, in coordination with the Technical Operations group.
- Stay current on technical issues relative to the position
- Identify and learn appropriate software and hardware used and supported by the organization
- Perform additional duties as assigned
- MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
- Bachelor's degree in, Electrical engineering or a directly related field
- At least four (4) years of related experience in designing, programming of PLC's, and/or performing FATs / SATs for industrial SCADA systems.
- Four (4) years demonstrated engineering experience with instrumentation and controls, HMI, systems integration, industrial electronics, industrial computer systems, PLC's, or intelligent distributed controls.
- Experience in a customer support role with direct customer interaction.
- Experience with water or wastewater chemical processes, pumps, valves, instrumentation, and hydraulics preferred.
An equivalent combination of education, training, and experience that demonstrates required knowledge, skills, and abilities may be considered.
- Extensive knowledge of PLC / HMI programming and development
- Thorough knowledge of NEC
- The principles of process control, electronics, electrical equipment, and networks, HMI hardware (servers, switches, radios, hubs, fiber optics, etc.) and related computers.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with project team members.
- Communicate effectively both orally and in writing; read and understand PLC code, HMI screens/database, plans, schematics, and specifications.
- Establish and fulfill goals and objectives.
- Organize and prioritize work.
- Meet deadlines
- Communicate complex or technical concepts and terms to non-technical employees and others
- Excellent attention to detail and problem-solving skills
- Exceptional customer service orientation
- Be a creative thinker who is driven by opportunities to continually improve
- Work effectively with a diverse group of people
- Handle multiple projects simultaneously and use good judgment in prioritizing work assignments
- Bachelor's degree in, Electrical engineering or a directly related field
- WORKING CONDITIONS
- Regular walking and standing for inspection and testing
- Repetitive motion for PLC / HMI Programming, terminal block/wiring inspections
- Frequent pushing, pulling, bending, crouching/stooping and climbing to inspect Process Control systems
- Normal color vision, to determine wire colors, accurately read manuals and other written material and to properly program high definition HMI graphics
- Works both indoors and outdoors in all weather conditions with exposure to noise, dust and fumes
- Exposure to high/medium/low voltage electrical equipment. May have to enter confined spaces to perform duties
- Operates motor vehicle, computers, and field testing devices
- May have to use Personal Protective Equipment (PPE).
- This position may require the incumbent to occasionally use personal equipment (e.g. vehicle, cell phone, tools, etc.) in the course of their employment
For Veterans points: Please show all of your employment history, including military service and related documentation (DD214) on the application.
The City of Aurora is an equal opportunity employer. We are required by state and federal agencies to keep certain statistical records on applicants. It will not be used in any way to discriminate against you because of your sex, race, age, sexual orientation, creed, national origin, disability or military status, gender identity, unless related to a bona fide occupational qualification as defined by the Colorado Civil Rights Commission and the Equal Opportunity Commission.
Despite the changes in Colorado law, the City of Aurora maintains a drug free workplace. A positive test of marijuana is grounds for disqualification and ineligibility for employment with the city for one year or termination once hired.
Drug Testing, Thorough Criminal Background Check, and Employment References:
As a condition of employment, all applicants selected for employment with the City of Aurora must undergo a thorough criminal background check and drug screening. Employment references will be conducted on finalists for City of Aurora vacancies.