City of Aurora
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Senior Engineer - Master Planning
at City of Aurora
- Summary of Job Duties
City of Aurora, Colorado
It is an exciting time to work for the City of Aurora, we're growing and looking for dedicated and collaborative individuals to join our team of talented and valued employees. Excellent organizations have a set of principles, or core values, that are used to implement their mission and vision. Those values represent the touchstone for the organization, guiding the decisions of the individuals and the organization. At the City of Aurora, we demonstrate our excellence by modeling the CORE 4 Values of: Integrity, Respect, Professionalism, and Customer Service, and we welcome all who share these values to apply.
Why Work for Aurora?
- Make a difference in the lives of real people every day
- Diverse community
- Competitive total compensation package
- Well-Funded General Employees Retirement Plan
- Light rail station minutes away
- On-site fitness center and wellness programs
- Internal educational programs to assist with career advancement
- Access to innovation workspaces
The Aurora Water Planning and Engineering division is recruiting an exciting opportunity to serve the public within the Planning Services team. The Senior Engineer - Master Planning position is responsible for leading planning and engineering efforts directly supporting water master planning and capital improvement program (CIP) development. This position develops and implements solutions by planning, organizing, and directing complex water engineering analyses and managing complex projects under the supervision of the Planning Services Manager.
The successful candidate will have advanced technical expertise in water master planning, facility planning, and capital improvement program development resulting from planning efforts.
The Aurora Water Planning and Engineering Division offers an exciting, challenging, fun, and impactful work environment within a strong team culture of collaboration, innovation, and team support.
- PRIMARY DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
Manage various water master planning and supporting efforts, including the following near-term efforts
- Integrated Water Management Plan (IWMP) - Forecast system demands and identify and prioritize the necessary infrastructure to meet these demands from source to tap.
- Box Elder Basin Water and Wastewater Feasibility Study - Identify and prioritize water and wastewater infrastructure needs for an undeveloped portion of northeast Aurora, including the exploration of indirect and direct potable reuse options
- Perform discreet facility planning and/or sub-master planning efforts resulting from master plan findings or other organizational needs
- Oversee management and development of prioritized budget and timing of CIP projects necessary to meet growth-related and asset management needs
- Provide leadership and facilitate collaboration with internal stakeholders to solicit input and feedback in planning efforts
Additional duties commensurate within the position include, but may not be limited to, any combination of the following:
- Review and provide technical feedback to private development plans to assure compliance with master planning and system operational requirements and goals
- Coordinate directly with, and potentially lead, hydraulic modeling staff
- Support Aurora Water's interest in negotiating, reviewing, executing interagency governmental agreements that impact infrastructure planning and operation
- Lead water-related regulatory and compliance activities, such as water loss reporting
- May oversee staff performing development review tasks including master utility studies, framework development plans, site plans, and civil plans review
- Initiates and manages complex engineering projects, including the development of scopes of work and budgets, negotiating contracts with engineering consultants, facilitating public and special group meetings, coordinating activity involving multiple Departments and providing guidance to professional staff assisting with these projects
- Provide periodic updates and/or presentations to management, executive staff, city council members, and citizen special interest groups
- Ensure compliance with regulatory agencies, Federal, State, and Local policies and procedures
- Review and develop complex technical reports and SOP's
- Assure that completed projects meet established quality standards
- Project Management - Ensuring that projects are delivered on-time, on-budget, and achieve their objectives
- Innovation- Imagining and devising new and better ways of doing things
- Self-Management - Demonstrating personal organization, self-discipline, and dependability
- Written & Verbal Communication - Communicating effectively among project team and stakeholders
- Team Player - Promoting a culture of teamwork and supporting each other and team goals and objectives
- Visionary and Critical Thinking - Predicting system demands and identifying strategic ways to meet those demands
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with employees and citizens
- Work effectively with a diverse group of people
- Take initiative in identifying problems and solutions relative to master planning
- Handle multiple projects simultaneously and use good judgment in prioritizing work assignments
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships with City staff and the general public
- Independently represent the department in multiple internal and external settings
- Apply scientific and engineering principles to work assignments
- MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
At least eight (8) years of engineering experience in infrastructure master planning (for municipal water utilities preferred).
Bachelor's degree in from an accredited institution in Civil, Environmental, Mechanical or Chemical Engineering (or similar related field).
Licenses, Certificates or Equipment Required:
Registration as a Professional Engineer in the United States. PE registration in the State of Colorado, or ability to obtain licensure within six months. Driver's license with a good driving history. This position may require occasional use of personal equipment (e.g. vehicle, cell phone, tools, etc.).
- WORKING CONDITIONS
- Sedentary physical work requiring the ability to lift a maximum of 10 pounds
- Occasional lifting, carrying, walking, and standing
- Hand/eye coordination to operate a computer and related equipment
- Works primarily in a clean, comfortable environment
- Frequently uses standard office equipment including typewriters, computers, calculators and copy/fax machines
- Frequently answers telephone
- This position may require the incumbent to occasionally use personal equipment (e.g. vehicle, cell phone, tools, etc.) in the course of their employment
Essential Personnel: When a local announcement of emergency or disaster is declared by the City, all City of Aurora employees may be required to work as essential personnel.___________________________________________________________________
For Veterans preference: Please show all of your employment history, including military service and attach related documentation (DD214) on the application.
The City of Aurora is an equal opportunity employer. We are required by state and federal agencies to keep certain statistical records on applicants. It will not be used in any way to discriminate against you because of your sex, race, age, sexual orientation, creed, national origin, disability or military status, gender identity, unless related to a bona fide occupational qualification as defined by the Colorado Civil Rights Commission and the Equal Opportunity Commission.
Despite the changes in Colorado law, the City of Aurora maintains a drug-free workplace. A positive test of marijuana is grounds for disqualification and ineligibility for employment with the city for one year or termination once hired.
Drug Testing, Thorough Criminal Background Check, Employment References, and Education Verification:
As a condition of employment, all applicants selected for employment with the City of Aurora must undergo a thorough criminal background check and drug screening. Employment references will be conducted on finalists for City of Aurora vacancies. Submittal of official transcripts of the most relevant/highest level of education listed on the application.