EaglePicher Technologies, LLC
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Senior Electronics Engineer
at EaglePicher Technologies, LLC
- Job ID
- # of Openings
- Research & Development
EaglePicher is looking for a Senior Electronics Engineer to join the R&D team at our Northern California Facility in Burlingame. This is an opportunity to become a key contributor in cutting edge hybrid lithium ion battery systems that are being used to power the next generation of spacecraft, aircraft, and ships.
About the position:
As a Senior Electronics Engineer with Lithiumstart, a Division of EaglePicher Technologies, you will join our Research and Development team as a key contributor in hands on design and prototyping of lithium ion battery power systems used for lasers, aircraft, satellites, and more. You will work with industry leaders within the company as well as at our customers who include NASA, JPL, BAE, Lockheed Martin, NOAA, Lawrence Livermore Labs, and Fortune 500 companies around the world. To apply you must have a Bachelors or Masters Degree in Engineering or equivalent related experience and be a US Citizen or Permanent Resident.
You will be responsible for the design of power electronics and battery management systems. Designs will typically require a high level of creativity and intuition. Your designs must maximize performance while ensuring the safety of surrounding systems and personnel.
- PCB circuit design and layout for digital and analog circuits utilizing a systems level design approach
- Independently design and prototype multi-kilowatt, high-voltage power supplies used in pulsed-power battery applications including magnetics design
- Develop new power architectures to meet requirements for power density, efficiency, thermal performance, etc.
- Run simulations using LTSPICE and MATLAB
- Make design decisions on power capability, semiconductor selection, safety, reliability, regulatory compliance, manufacturability, etc.
- Design control architectures and implement them in hardware and firmware
- Proactively develop and track requirements/schedule and provide regular updates
- Drive risk management of electronic assemblies (FMEA, hazard analysis, DFMA, supply-chain)
- Provide technical leadership while communicating effectively in a dynamic multi-disciplinary team environment
- Plan and conduct engineering tests
- Develop verification plans and acceptance testing protocols for electronic assemblies and firmware
- Test power supplies and other electronic assemblies for EMC, stability, life, environmental effects, stress, etc.
- Generate and release documents for designs, assembly, acceptance-testing, manufacturing etc.
- Assist other electrical engineers in designs and testing of analog and digital circuits
- Perform failure analysis on new and returned systems from the field
To succeed in this position the candidate will have:
- 8+ years in design of AC/DC and DC/DC converter topologies that includes PFC, flyback, buck, boost, buck-boost, half- and full-bridge, resonant and quasi-resonant, multi-phase, etc.
- 10+ years experience designing high power (kW and above), high-voltage (>100V) DC/DC power conversion
- Subject matter expert on tradeoffs of power MOSFET, IGBTs, SCRs, diodes and semiconductor technologies including GaN and SiC
- Great understanding of power and mechanical design tradeoffs between high-voltage, power, weight, space, environmental, safety, thermal, etc.
- Designed high-reliably power supplies from the ground-up used in demanding applications
- Extensive implementation experience of thermal management for high-power designs
- Experience with control systems, analog compensation, PID, digital control implemented in firmware or VHDL, etc. used in power supply circuitry
- Strong experience in complex system integrations
- Experience dealing with revisions to requirements and schedule in a dynamic environment
- Experience working with CAN, RS232, RS485, Ethernet, I2C, SPI, UART or similar communication protocols
- Good understanding of testing EMI and mitigation techniques for EMC
Desired experience and skills:
- Worked in AS-9100, ISO-9001, DoD, MIL-STD related regulatory environments
- Experience with DO-178 and/or DO-254 design flows
- Firmware design and implementation for microcontroller-based battery management systems and closed-loop power control using design processes similar to DO-178.
- Implementing MCU and/or FPGA firmware for power applications
- Startup experience is helpful
- Hands-on, cable assembly, wiring crimping, machine shop experience
- Understanding of different battery cell electrochemistry and the electronics that go into a battery management system
In addition to meeting the basic requirements, the most successful candidate will also have:
- Self-starter with a track record of delivering above and beyond expectations.
- A can-do attitude, passion to succeed and an ability and willingness to wear multiple hats as needed
- Willingness and ability to travel occasionally as needed
- Solid problem solver, exceptionally well organized and detail oriented
- Proven ability to handle more than one project simultaneously
- Strong interpersonal, communication, writing, and presentation skills.
PERKS OF BEING AN EAGLEPICHER EMPLOYEE
- Use the best design tools for work including custom workstations with triple monitor setups featuring 27” IPS LCD’s.
- Increase your knowledge with paid ongoing education such as conferences, workshops, and books/subscriptions.
- Flexible schedule
- Onsite meals, snacks, ping pong, and foosball
- Competitive benefits, matching 401k
- Tuition reimbursement
- Dependent scholarship programs
EaglePicher's R&D site in California provides agile, rapid prototyping and proven turnkey solutions for lithium ion battery management, pack integration, safety and power conversion technology. As a turnkey integrator, we source the best cells from around the world and package them in enclosures with our management electronics. No project is too small or too large — we build energy storage systems that range in size from two cells up to thousands of cells. EaglePicher Technologies, LLC is a leading producer of batteries and energetic devices for the defense, aerospace, medical, commercial, and oil & gas industries. The company provides the most experience and broadest capability in battery electrochemistry of any battery supplier in the United States.
EaglePicher Technologies, LLC is a leading producer of batteries and energetic devices for the defense, aerospace, medical, commercial, oil, and gas industries. The company provides the most experience and broadest capability in battery electrochemistry of any battery supplier in the United States. Battery technologies include lithium ion, thermal, silver zinc, lithium carbon monofluoride, lithium thionyl chloride, lithium manganese dioxide, lithium sulfur dioxide, and reserve lithium oxyhalide. EaglePicher also provides custom battery assemblies, battery management systems, pyrotechnic devices, and other power solutions. EaglePicher Technologies is headquartered in Joplin, MO. and is ISO9001:2008, ISO 13485, and AS9100C certified. For more information, visit www.eaglepicher.com.
EaglePicher Technologies LLC is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, sex, age, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, status as a veteran, and basis of disability or any other federal, state or local protected class.