Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Mechanical Design Engineer - Lunar Tools
Are you passionate about human spaceexploration or understanding the origins of the universe, and working with adynamic and diverse team to make a difference? If you are, we needyou!
We need your commitment, teamwork,and energy to help us achieve great things that inspire humans all over theglobe. We need you to bring innovative ideas and diverse backgrounds tohelp us envision, shape, and deliver systems that will benefit the quality oflife of people around the world. We are excited about what we do, and weneed you on our team as we take on new challenges for NASA's pursuits in deepspace exploration. Jacobs is NASA's largest engineering solutionsprovider working alongside NASA at centers across the United States.
We have the unique and significantrole to partner with NASA at Johnson Space Center (JSC), to be part of everyhuman spaceflight program – the International Space Station (ISS), NASA's Orionspacecraft, which will carry astronauts into deep space, and Gateway, theorbiting platform providing the home for astronauts to work and travel back andforth to the moon's surface, and serving as the platform for deep spaceexploration. From critical systems onthe ISS to enable astronauts to live and work in space; to performing advanceddevelopment for systems leading to deep space exploration; to being part of thefoundation for Gateway.
We also partner with NASA at JSC,the only NASA center in the United States to curate all astromaterial samplesreturned from exploration missions, to perform curation services, orbitaldebris analysis, and basic research to further humankind's understanding of theorigins of our solar system.
We need you to be a part of ourteam!
We are currently in need of an Mechanical Design Engineer - Lunar Tools to join ourteam with Barrios Technology, Inc., a JETS teammate company. Do you have the following skills?
- Design and build the next generation of handtools to support lunar exploration.
- Work in a team environment to analyzerequirements from the customer and develop design solutions.
- Design, develop, test, handleimplementation, and analysis of technical products and systems.
- Perform engineering design evaluations.
- Produce engineering drawings conformingto JPR 8500 and other applicable standards.
- Perform dimensional fit toleranceanalysis including thermal effects.
- Perform functional analyses, whenapplicable, and sizing structural analyses.
- Produce drawings conforming to ASME Y14.5as well as support design with standard hand calculations for fit, function andstructural strength.
- Prepare and present designs at variousdesign reviews using MS Word and PowerPoint.
- Produce other required designdocumentation.
- Perform other duties as required.
Thisposition has been posted at multiple levels. Depending on the candidate'sexperience, requirements and business needs, we reserve the right to considercandidates at any level for which this position has been advertised.
- BS degree inengineering from an accredited engineering school and five to 10 (5-10) yearsof related engineering experience, or a MS degree from an accreditedengineering school and four to eight (4-8) years of related engineeringexperience, or Ph.D. from an accredited engineering school and zero to four(0-4) years of related experience.
- Experience designing and analyzingmechanisms.
- Experience in all phases of theengineering design process (including concept brainstorming, requirementsdefinition, prototyping, detailed design, analysis, manufacturing, assembly,and validation).
- Must have the ability to produce drawingsconforming to ASME Y14.5, perform dimensional fit tolerance analysis includingthermal effects and to support design with finite element analysis (FEA)standard hand calculations for fit, function, and structural strength.
- Musthave experience using solid modeling CAD software, specifically PTC CREO orProE.
- Familiarity with basic design formanufacturing principles.
- Excellent communication skills and theability to work in a multi-disciplinary team of mechanical, electrical, andsoftware engineers.
- Musthave working knowledge of machine shop and 3D printing processes.
- Familiarizationwith materials selection for EVA/Lunar applications
- Familiarization with JSC EngineeringDrawing System Manual (JPR 8500).
- Familiarization with JSC FabricationTolerances and Practices (SKZ36103755).
- Experience designing hardware andcreating drawings for NASA/JSC.
WhyWork on Our Team?
Click on the below links to view just a small sample of allthat we do! Come join our team and be part of our future. We lookforward to seeing you!
JacobsAerospace Solutions Overview
(Please view in Chrome or Microsoft Edge)
In addition to exciting careeropportunities we also have:
- Excellent personal and professional career growth
- 9/80 work schedule (every other Friday off)
- Onsite cafeteria (breakfast & lunch)
- Comprehensive Benefit Package (medical, dental & vision)
- Tuition Reimbursement
- Much, much more!
Formore information on our partnership with NASA at Johnson SpaceCenter, please visit www.wehavespaceforyou.com
Mustbe a U.S. Citizen and successfully complete a U.S. government backgroundinvestigation.
Managementhas the prerogative to select at any level for which this position has beenadvertised.
Generally an office environment, butcan involve inside or outside work depending on task.
Work may involve sitting or standing for extended periods (90% of time). Mayrequire lifting and carrying up to 25 lbs (5% of time).
Equipment and Machines
Standard office equipment (PC, telephone, printer, etc.).
Regular attendance in accordance with established work schedule is critical.Ability to work outside normal schedule and adjust schedule to meet peakperiods and surge requirements when required.
Other Essential Functions
Must be able to work in a team atmosphere. Must put forward a professionalbehavior that enhances productivity and promotes teamwork and cooperation.Grooming and dress must be appropriate for the position and must not impose asafety risk/hazard to the employee or others.
Jacobs is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status or other characteristics protected by law. Learn more about your rights under Federal EEO laws and supplemental language.