Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Principal Electrical Engineer
at Microsoft Corporation
- Job number
- Job category
- Electrical Engineering
- Employment type
- Role type
- Individual Contributor
Microsoft's Cloud Operations & Innovation (CO+I) is the engine that powers our cloud services. As a CO+I Principal Electrical Engineer, you will help influence the core infrastructure and foundational technologies for Microsoft's online services including Bing, Office 365, Xbox, OneDrive, and the Microsoft Azure platform.
Our infrastructure is comprised of a large global portfolio of more than 100 datacenters and 1 million servers. Our foundation is built upon and managed by a team of subject matter experts working to support services for more than 1 billion customers and 20 million businesses in over 90 countries worldwide.
With environmental sustainability and optimization at the forefront of our datacenter design and operations, we continue to grow and evolve as we meet the ever-changing business demands that hold Microsoft as a world-class cloud provider.
Be at the forefront of the action in CO+I (Cloud Operations + Innovation) as part of our global Platform Data Center Integration team.
As a Principal Electrical Engineer you will live at the intersection of IT hardware with Microsoft datacenters, helping to drive down cost, improve reliability and produce energy efficient hardware to power the cloud. You will work across organizations with a small set of system thinkers to shape the future of the cloud at hyperscale.
- Define standards for the intersection of IT hardware and the datacenter
- Shape the future of the data center in accordance with the evolution of hardware needs
- Represent datacenter needs throughout full infrastructure lifecycle
- RCA and resolve challenging problems that arise in Microsoft’s data center fleet
- Summarize deep technical issues for executive audience
- 9+ years of experience in server/data center infrastructure design
- BS in Electrical Engineering or equivalent experience
- MS or PhD in electrical engineering
- Solid understanding of server power supply principles including power factor correction and DC/DC converters
- Familiarity with supervisory processor operation, fault detection, and action logic
- Familiarity with power code (SPECPower)
- Familiarity with solid state power device operation (SCR, MOS FET, IGBT, etc)
- Familiarity with transfer switch operation and logic (STS, ATS)
- Solid understanding of general 3 phase distribution and protection schemes including breaker and fuse principles of operation and coordination
- Solid understanding of arc flash princples
- Solid understanding of power sharing and cold standby server power supply redundancy schemes
- Experience with reporting and data analysis systems & platforms (e.g. PowerBI)
Microsoft is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex (including pregnancy), sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances. We also consider qualified applicants regardless of criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements. If you need assistance and/or a reasonable accommodation due to a disability during the application or the recruiting process, please send a request via the Accommodation request form.
Benefits/perks listed below may vary depending on the nature of your employment with Microsoft and the country where you work.
Ability to meet Microsoft, customer and/or government security screening requirements are required for this role. These requirements include, but are not limited to, the following specialized security screenings: Microsoft Cloud Background Check: This position will be required to pass the Microsoft Cloud background check upon hire/transfer and every two years thereafter.