Northrop Grumman Corporation
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
at Northrop Grumman Corporation
At Northrop Grumman, our employees have incredible opportunities to work on revolutionary systems that impact people's lives around the world today, and for generations to come. Our pioneering and inventive spirit has enabled us to be at the forefront of many technological advancements in our nation's history - from the first flight across the Atlantic Ocean, to stealth bombers, to landing on the moon. We look for people who have bold new ideas, courage and a pioneering spirit to join forces to invent the future, and have fun along the way. Our culture thrives on intellectual curiosity, cognitive diversity and bringing your whole self to work — and we have an insatiable drive to do what others think is impossible. Our employees are not only part of history, they're making history.
Northrop Grumman Innovation Systems designs, builds and delivers space, defense and aviation-related systems to customers around the world. Our main products include launch vehicles and related propulsion systems; missile products, subsystems and defense electronics; precision weapons, armament systems and ammunition; satellites and associated space components and services; and advanced aerospace structures.
Northrop Grumman Innovation Systems Division is currently seeking an Engineering Director for our Strategic Programs team in our Propulsion Systems Business Unit at our Bacchus, UT campus.
Role Description & Responsibilities:
The Chief Engineer Director for the Strategic programs supports ongoing production and sustainment of the D5 Fleet Ballistic Missile, ongoing sustainment of the Minuteman III ICBM, and the development of the new Ground Based Strategic Deterrence ICBM. This will include providing overall technical direction for these programs as the Chief Engineer of Strategic Programs, organizing and staffing the project engineering resources needed to plan and execute the technical scope and to interface with the NAVY, Air Force and Prime Contractor customers. This role will report to the Propulsion Systems Project Engineering Director.
• Provide overall technical leadership, direction and applicable management to the Project Engineering teams supporting Navy (Trident II) and Air Force (PSSC, GBSD, RSLP) programs
• Act as a technical focal point for the customer ensuring customer satisfaction with all technical efforts including participation in customer and government review boards
• Work on problem solving and failure investigations of technical issues
• Drive timely and clearly communicated decisions and recommendations
• Work closely with the Program Manager to manage technical execution of the detailed program plan
• Manage cost and schedule for all technical efforts on the programs
• Work with Science & Engineering functional management to assure proper technical support
• Provide technical direction on contract changes and Statement of Work negotiations
• Drive technical excellence (by upholding technical standards for project, managing technical risks, supporting cost goals, and ensuring requirements compliance)
• Champion company values, including safety, best practices and continuous improvement
Experience Requirements / Skills:
• At Least 20 years of professional experience in the defense or aerospace industries and 5 years managing technical teams.
• Demonstrated technical skills in a technical functional area (design, analysis, process, quality, test, or systems engineering)
• Strong solid rocket motor system design, development and production experience involving propulsion systems
• Demonstrated effectiveness in achieving results through managing people and understanding and management of internal processes and customer/supplier relationships.
• Strong understanding and broad application of PS engineering systems (engineering standards, configuration management, material review board, process control, tooling, facilities, software, etc.)
• Strong oral and written communication skills, including demonstrated experience with high value customer presentations, with ability to focus on multiple projects with competing priorities
• Demonstrated experience in making sound decisions in uncertain and difficult situations
• Strong sense of urgency and work ethic in ensuring engineering meets customer and program expectations in a timely and efficient manner
• Experience in leading failure investigations and significant problem solving teams
• Demonstrated experience working with customers to ensure project success.
• Experience in management of engineering scope as it pertains to budgeting, risk assessments, and preparation for EAC reviews
• U.S. Citizen and be able to obtain a DoD Secret Clearance
• Position may require domestic travel, <15%
• BS degree in Mechanical, Aerospace, Physics or Engineering Management is required. Consideration will be given to candidates with a BS, MS, or PhD degree in other engineering disciplines with strong relevant experience
• PhD with 15 years experience, MS with 18 years experience, or BS with 20 years experience
Northrop Grumman is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer, making decisions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, or any other protected class. For our complete EEO/AA and Pay Transparency statement, please visit www.northropgrumman.com/EEO. U.S. Citizenship is required for most positions.