Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
2313 - Civil Engineering Assistant - Senior
at Pima County
- Position Description
This position is in the Regional Flood Control District. OPEN UNTIL FILLED.
Salary Grade: E2
The Pima County Regional Flood Control District invites you to apply for an opportunity to work with a highly qualified staff of floodplain managers, hydraulic and hydrologic modelers, project managers, and land managers. The District's team strives to maximize public safety and welfare by identifying flood risk areas, by reviewing impacts of development and by maintaining beneficial functions of flood plains. The position for this recruitment is in the Development Review Section which assists developers, consultants and other Pima County projects in preparing construction plans for residential subdivisions, commercial developments and public projects.
Candidates should have completed coursework in relevant hydraulic and hydrologic subjects and have experience in a position responsible for preparation or review of site construction plans and supporting drainage reports. Knowledge of floodplain management regulations, including Federal Emergency Management Agency requirements, is preferred. Candidate should have strong written and verbal communication skills. The candidate must be capable of managing a diverse workload and working with County staff, developers, private consulting engineers, other floodplain management jurisdictions and members of the public. Candidates should have experience with hydraulic and hydrologic modeling software and Microsoft Office.
Performs pre-registration field and office civil engineering work.
(Work assignments may vary depending on the department's needs and will be communicated to the applicant or incumbent by the supervisor.)
Assigns work, gives instructions and reviews engineering problems in connection with standards and designs involved in maintaining and constructing county streets, sewers, drainage facilities and structures;
Leads the work of civil engineering assistants and drafting technicians engaged in the preparation and review of designs;
Completes or reviews drawings, plans, estimates and preliminary reports for difficult construction and improvement projects;
Supervises and participates in the preparation and review of estimates and specifications;
Inspects construction sites as part of engineering assignments;
Calculates quantities and costs;
Performs construction contract management;
Writes reports and makes estimates of a specialized nature in connection with various engineering projects;
Makes studies and prepares reports which are utilized to determine the most desirable routes, locations and various design features for particular projects;
Performs capacity analysis;
Prepares or reviews traffic signal designs and conducts transportation studies;
Leads and assists in the preparation of contracts which includes special and supplemental specifications;
May perform advanced materials testing and train others in testing procedures;
May supervise a detail design sub group;
May perform research on construction materials and materials testing procedures.
KNOWLEDGE & SKILLS:
- application of civil engineering principles to the problems of streets, storm drains, sewers, buildings and other public works;
- drafting and mapping principles and techniques;
- surveying methods;
- materials testing.
- interpreting and utilizing engineering plans, maps, specifications and preparing field reports;
- application of engineering theory to complex field and office problems;
- preparing and checking complex designs, details, estimates, plans and specifications of engineering projects;
- establishing and maintaining effective working relationships with contractors, other agencies and the public.
- Minimum Qualifications
(1) A Bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university with a major in civil engineering and two years of pre-registration civil engineering experience.
(A Master's degree from an accredited college or university with a major in civil engineering may substitute for one year of the aforementioned two years of pre-registration civil engineering experience)
(2) Six years of pre-registration civil engineering experience.
(Certification as an Engineer-in-training in the State of Arizona may substitute for four years of the aforementioned six years of pre-registration civil engineering experience.)
(3) A Bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university with a major in a related engineering field, such as, but not limited to: mechanical, electrical, or chemical engineering, or in a physical or biological science and three years of pre-registration civil engineering experience.
(A Master's degree from an accredited college or university with a major in one of the related engineering fields or in a physical or biological science may substitute for one year of the aforementioned three years of pre-registration civil engineering experience.)
(4) Two years with Pima County as a Civil Engineering Assistant.
Qualifying education and experience must be clearly documented in the "Education" and "Work Experience" sections of the application. Do not substitute a resume for your application or write "see resume" on your application.
(Be specific in describing your experience in your application. Ensure the descriptions provided illustrate your competencies, specifically addressing the required and preferred qualifications.):
- Successful completion of Fundamentals of Engineering exam/Engineer In Training (EIT).
- Experience in hydrologic and hydraulic modeling principles and their application to site design and floodplain mapping.
- Experience reviewing engineering analyses in support of residential and commercial development projects.
- Experience with Federal Emergency Management Agency and Pima County Floodplain Ordinance requirements for development.
- Experience with Geographic Information Systems.
- Fluent in Spanish.
Pima County Human Resources Department reserves the right to admit to the selection process only those candidates that meet the minimum/desired qualifications. All applications will be assessed based on an evaluation of the listed education and experience. Candidates meeting the minimum/desired qualifications may be further evaluated/scored against any advertised Preferred Qualifications. The hiring authority will interview and select the successful candidate from a referral list provided by Human Resources. Additional assessments/testing may be required as part of the selection process.
- Supplemental Information
Licenses and Certificates: Valid AZ driver license is required at time of appointment. The successful applicant will be subject to a 39-month DOT Motor Vehicle Record review to determine applicant's suitability to operate county vehicles in accordance with Pima County administrative procedures. Failure to obtain and maintain the required licenses and certifications shall be grounds for termination. Any offer of employment resulting from this recruitment is contingent upon Fleet Services' review and approval of the candidate's driving record.
Special Notice Items: Applicants for positions in this classification with a pending graduation date, must provide documentation of the pending graduation date from the awarding college/university's registrar's office at the time of application. If applicant provides a pending graduation date, proof of degree awarded must be submitted to the department upon appointment. The County requires pre-employment background checks. Successful candidates will receive a post-offer, pre-employment background screening to include verification of work history, education and criminal conviction history. A prior criminal conviction will not automatically disqualify a candidate from employment with the County.
Physical/Sensory Requirements: Physical and sensory abilities will be determined by position.