Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
4719 - ITD Technical Support Engineer (Configuration Manager Engineer - Desktop Support)
at Pima County
- Position Description
This position is in the Information Technology Department.
Salary Grade: 60
We are seeking a self-motivated, thorough, disciplined and perceptive individual to serve in the role of a Configuration Manager Engineer for the Pima County Information Technology Department (ITD). In applying for this position, pay particular attention to the description that follows and to the Preferred Qualifications at the end of this posting, addressing each qualification in your application. This person will have extensive experience in desktop configuration and support, such as implementing, monitoring and maintaining operating systems and applications on Microsoft Windows desktops. The role involves close cooperation and coordination with other project teams, so interpersonal skills are important. We offer an opportunity to utilize your skills, grow new ones, work in a team environment and advance your career. You bring energy, enthusiasm, professionalism and a desire to get better every day, as well as to make a difference in your community by supporting the mission of Pima County Government.
(Work assignments may vary depending on the department's need and will be communicated to the applicant or incumbent by the supervisor.)
Operational and Client Management
Leads and participates in the transition of new systems into production status through final approval of production control process (PCP) documentation;
Leads and participates in the installation, configuration, troubleshooting and maintenance of the computing or communications installed client environment;
Assists in the development and implementation of system administration policies, procedures, guidelines and standards;
Assists in defining appropriate service level objectives (SLO) for the computing and/or communications center;
Assists in the implementation of SLO measurement criteria and methods to extract performance data to enable SLO reporting;
Participates in forecasting computing/communications growth and provides pro-active capacity management;
Assists in the disposal of obsolete client and computing/communications center equipment;
Assists in client license compliance;
Assists in maintaining an up-to-date client software environment through periodic patch installations;
Assists in maintaining a virus free client environment through active deployment of virus cleansing programs/applications;
Leads continuous improvement efforts in the computing and/or communications center environment.
Engineering & Maintenance
Assists in the installation, configuration, troubleshooting and maintenance of computing and/or communications center infrastructure and associated documentation;
Assists in the resolution of client services and center related problems;
Assists with the implementation of vendor supplied upgrades and patches;
Assists in the set-up and on-going maintenance of disaster recovery and capacity planning requirements;
Assists with the set-up and on-going maintenance of record retention requirements.
Functions as the project leader/manager on small to medium projects;
Assists in the planning and implementation of the IT computing and/or communications center business plan;
Assists in delivery of critical computing and/or communications center capabilities to meet application and internal technical infrastructure needs;
Participates on various Group Technical Infrastructure teams to drive standardization and strategic implementations;
Interfaces with vendors for on-going life cycle maintenance and support activities.
May supervise and evaluate performance of assigned staff;
Analyzes, evaluates and coordinates resolution and implementation of specific critical computing and/or communications center components within the IT support environment;
Leads development of critical computing and/or communications center and/or IT support components to enhance service delivery and support to customer base.
KNOWLEDGE & SKILLS:
- desktop or other operating systems and affiliated software components, services, protocols and technologies, which may include office automation applications (e.g., Excel, Visio, Word, PowerPoint) and other vendor commercial applications interfaced into client computing and communications environment; or
- wireless communications equipment such as fixed, portable and mobile radio devices, dispatch console equipment, as well as related radio system and remote site control equipment with working knowledge of FCC rules, regulations and technical standards;
- security standards and procedures within Pima County;
- IT Infrastructure Library for the Incident and Problem Management environment;
- hand held communication devices (e.g., Blackberries, radios), other affiliated devices and email messaging/data synchronization applications and procedures;
- voice and data services devices;
- computing or communications architectures and affiliated hardware components and technologies including networking, modems, monitors, projection devices and other peripheral devices, to include desktop computing, printer and other peripheral device driver, connectivity configurations and administration utilities (e.g., Microsoft SMS etc);
- client computing and communications hardware and software infrastructure related Security technologies and alternative marketplace solutions utilized for departmental and enterprise solutions to include some of the following:
- Exchange / Citrix / IIS, Windows Server and Active Directory, Enterprise backup and redundancy;
- multi-layer switch network and MPLS network design, traffic engineering and management, to include VOIP;
- digital microwave equipment, antenna combining equipment, bi-directional amplifiers, tower top amplifiers;
- principles and techniques of effective supervision.
- organizing workload, being proactive and managing a wide variety of customer requests simultaneously;
- written, verbal and interpersonal communications;
- operating within a fast paced, highly technical environment;
- writing procedures and work instructions;
- operating as a member of a team;
- employing quality skill sets and diagnostic tools;
- being resourceful, self-managed, customer focused and demonstrated ability to maintain a solid understanding of client computing and communications deployment, configuration, upgrade and integration concepts;
- coordinating and communicating with internal and external customers/vendors;
- employing diagnostic, analytical and conceptual skills with detailed orientation;
- leading individual employees and work teams.
- Minimum Qualifications
(1) A Bachelor's degree from an accredited college, university or technical trade school with a major in computer science, computer engineering, management information systems (MIS), or a closely related field as determined by the appointing authority at the time of recruitment and four years of work experience in the maintenance and administration of client computing or communications hardware and software infrastructure.
(2) An Associate's degree from an accredited college, university or technical trade school with a major in computer science, computer engineering, management information systems (MIS), or a closely related field as determined by the appointing authority at the time of recruitment and six years of work experience in information technology including four years of experience in the maintenance and administration of client computing or communications hardware and software infrastructure.
(Additional relevant work experience and/or education from an accredited college, university or technical trade school may be substituted.)
Qualifying education and experience must be clearly documented in the "Education" and "Work Experience" sections of the application. Do not substitute a resume for your application or write "see resume" on your application.
(Be specific in describing your experience in your application. Ensure the descriptions provided illustrate your competencies, specifically addressing the required and preferred qualifications.):
- Experience with software configuration, change management activities, design, and execution of complex computer and application deployments in Windows environments.
- Experience in Windows client administration, OS Deployment (OSD, MDT), implementation, imaging, and deployment utilizing SCCM, LANDesk, Altiris, or similar.
- Experience with Windows Server administration and implementation including Active Directory, Group Policy, WSUS, IIS, and security permissions.
- Experience in software package building/deployment tools (e.g. Admin Studio, App-v, MSIX).
- Experience scripting (e.g. PowerShell, vbs, etc.) to support Windows solutions.
Pima County Human Resources Department reserves the right to admit to the selection process only those candidates that meet the minimum/desired qualifications. All applications will be assessed based on an evaluation of the listed education and experience. Candidates meeting the minimum/desired qualifications may be further evaluated/scored against any advertised Preferred Qualifications. The hiring authority will interview and select the successful candidate from a referral list provided by Human Resources. Additional assessments/testing may be required as part of the selection process.
- Supplemental Information
Licenses and Certificates: Some positions may require appropriate licenses or certifications at time of appointment or within a specified timeframe (e.g., A+, MCDST, MCITP, MCSA). Valid driver license is required at time of application. Valid AZ driver license is required at time of appointment. The successful applicant will be subject to a 39-month DOT Motor Vehicle Record review to determine applicant's suitability to operate county vehicles in accordance with Pima County administrative procedures. Any offer of employment resulting from this recruitment is contingent upon Fleet Services' review and approval of the candidate's driving record. Failure to obtain/maintain required licensure/certifications shall be grounds for termination.
Special Notice Items: Department of Labor regulation CFR Part 1910.1030 requires notification that some positions in this category may have a moderate risk of exposure to blood-borne pathogens. Hepatitis B vaccine will be provided. Some positions will be required to work rotating shifts which includes days, evenings, nights, weekends and holidays. The County requires pre-employment background checks. Successful candidates will receive a post-offer, pre-employment background screening to include verification of work history, education and criminal conviction history. A prior criminal conviction will not automatically disqualify a candidate from employment with the County. Some positions carry the risk of exposure to infectious diseases, blood-born pathogens, asbestos or wastewater products, therefore special medical screening prior to or during employment may be necessary to assure employee health and safety.
Physical/Sensory Requirements: All positions require the ability to identify industry standard color-coding of electrical wiring and components. Some positions require lifting equipment, climbing, working on elevated towers or below grade platforms. Other physical and sensory abilities will be determined by position.