Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
4743 - IT - Applications Engineer (Developer)
at Pima County
- Position Description
This position is in the Analytics & Data Governance Department.
Salary Grade: 63
Provides independent technical and analytical support on specific application system activities involving the design, development, construction and on-going support of systems, processes or methods. Services complex customer segment application systems and databases of either the Pima County Information Technology (IT) Department, central Finance & Risk Management Department, within an Elected Official's IT team, or other department/work unit approved by the County Administrator. This classification is distinguished from the IT - Applications Developer-Senior classification by its focus on technical systems/database design and database management.
(Work assignments may vary depending on the department's needs and will be communicated to the applicant or incumbent by the supervisor.)
Customer Segment Design, Maintenance and Support
Assists with the development of project scopes, pilot system efforts, definitions of associated costs and evaluation of alternative delivery mechanisms to satisfy customer requests;
Refines conceptual requirements into detailed technical designs;
Designs and develops software in support of new application development/deployment;
Programs/configures enhancements to existing automation solutions;
Provides guidance and support on processes and procedures based on the systems development life cycle;
Assists in the setup and maintenance of various environments required for testing, development, conversion and training, and establishes procedures for program migration, database changes and menu changes;
Performs unit testing and participates and assists in system testing and associated functional validations of business applications;
Develops documentation for programs, test plans, validation protocols and other supporting system documentation;
Serves as a project leader for teams performing technology related analysis, research, implementation, testing and maintenance;
Database Design, Maintenance and Support
Plans, develops and maintains relational databases over a variety of database platforms;
Participates in the development of database requirements and design specifications;
Models database systems, transforms database models and entities into database objects, implements database changes based on application development or enhancements;
Installs database management systems (DBMS) software, application software and other software related to DBMS administration;
Monitors and administers DBMS security using appropriate protocols;
Conducts system administration of database servers to function optimally with the DBMS;
Writes and maintains database documentation appropriate to area of assignment;
Monitors storage, archiving, backup and recovery procedures to ensure functionality and operability, as well as conducting capacity planning;
Develops custom or ad hoc reports using industry standard tools.
KNOWLEDGE & SKILLS:
- programming languages and associated web application development tools applicable to area of assignment;
- end user office, email and programming tools;
- principles and techniques of systems analysis and design;
- office tools and associated procedures and their application in the use of application systems processing;
- data warehouses and business intelligence environments;
- development and maintenance of data communications, security and privacy measures;
- database design, normalization and management, and systems analysis;
- modeling database systems and capacity planning;
- effective database supervision and monitoring techniques;
- protocols and methods for monitoring security of DBMS;
- techniques of data storage, archiving, backup and recovery;
- procedures and definitions for the data dictionary;
- operating principles, capabilities and limitations of hardware, software and database systems;
- industry security standards and procedures and IT best practices for application development;
- IT Infrastructure Library for the Incident and Problem Management environment;
- effective teamwork behaviors;
- project management methodologies and technologies.
- creating moderately complex documents, forms, reports and spreadsheets containing tables and graphs;
- mail merging documents and applying page setup functions (margins, page numbers, footers, headers);
- creating an index and/or table of contents, using search & replace, printing labels and envelopes;
- sorting, finding and filtering messages, setting rules, sharing contact information and creating custom forms and working with permissions and journals;
- refining conceptual requirements into technical designs;
- transforming database models and entities into database objects;
- installing software and configuring hardware and software for optimal performance;
- organizing workload, being proactive and managing a wide variety of customer requests simultaneously;
- written, verbal communications in both technical and non-technical terms;
- operating as a member of a team;
- employing quality skill sets and diagnostic tools;
- understanding client applications, business requirements and concepts;
- communicating with internal and external customers/vendors;
- employing diagnostic, analytical and conceptual skills with detailed orientation;
- employing full systems life cycle development;
- gathering requirements, analyzing business problems, automating business processes and implementing application solutions.
- Minimum Qualifications
(1) A Bachelor's degree from an accredited college, university or technical trade school with a major in computer science, computer engineering, management information systems (MIS), or a closely related field as determined by the appointing authority at the time of recruitment, and four years of work experience in software development and maintenance, and two years of work experience in the development and maintenance of database systems. (Experience requirements may be achieved concurrently.)
(2) An Associate's degree from an accredited college, university or technical trade school and six years of work experience in information technology software development and maintenance and two years of work experience in the development and maintenance of database systems. (Experience requirements may be achieved concurrently.)
(Additional relevant work experience and/or education from an accredited college, university or technical trade school may be substituted.)
Qualifying education and experience must be clearly documented in the "Education" and "Work Experience" sections of the application. Do not substitute a resume for your application or write "see resume" on your application.
Preferred Qualifications (Be specific in describing your experience in your application. Ensure the descriptions provided illustrate your competencies, specifically addressing the required and preferred qualifications.):
- Experience processing information (compiling, coding, categorizing, calculating, tabulating, auditing or verifying information or data) from multiple systems and databases using SQL (MS SQL preferred).
- Experience with reporting and development software, such as Crystal Reports, Business Objects, WEBI, Lumira or other BI tools.
- Experience with Enterprise reporting or data warehousing.
- Experience analyzing business processes.
Pima County Human Resources Department reserves the right to admit to the selection process only those candidates that meet the minimum/desired qualifications. All applications will be assessed based on an evaluation of the listed education and experience. Candidates meeting the minimum/desired qualifications may be further evaluated/scored against any advertised Preferred Qualifications. The hiring authority will interview and select the successful candidate from a referral list provided by Human Resources. Additional assessments/testing may be required as part of the selection process.
- Supplemental Information
Licenses and Certificates: Some positions may require appropriate licenses or certifications at time of appointment or within a specified timeframe, e.g., Microsoft Certified Technology Specialist (MCTS).
Special Notice Items: The County requires pre-employment background checks. Successful candidates will receive a post-offer, pre-employment background screening to include verification of work history, education and criminal conviction history. A prior criminal conviction will not automatically disqualify a candidate from employment with the County.
Physical/Sensory Requirements: Some positions require lifting equipment, climbing, working on towers, elevated or below grade platforms. All positions require the ability to identify industry standard color-coding of electrical wiring and components. Other physical and sensory abilities will be determined by position.