Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
4750 - IT - Information Engineer (Data Structure Developer)
at Pima County
- Position Description
This position is in the Analytics & Data Governance Department. OPEN UNTIL FILLED.
Salary Grade: 64
Designs, models, develops and supports complex database management systems (DBMS) for customer segments primarily within the Information Technology (IT) Department, or other department/work unit approved by the County Administrator. Manages technical implementations of databases and information systems while assigned to projects. Develops an overall data architecture that supports the information needs of the client/county in a flexible but secure environment. This classification is distinguished from the IT - Applications Engineer by its focus on managing the design and technical implementation of information systems and associated database environments.
(Work assignments may vary depending on the department's needs and will be communicated to the applicant or incumbent by the supervisor.)
Customer Segment Design, Maintenance and Support
Manages the technical implementations of databases and information systems portion of projects;
Analyzes data requirements, application and processing architectures, data dictionaries and data schema(s), and designs, develops, amends, optimizes and certifies database schema to meet system(s) requirements;
Gathers, analyzes and normalizes relevant information related to and from business processes, functions and operations to evaluate data credibility and determine relevance and meaning;
Develops database and warehousing designs across multiple platforms and computing environments;
Provides input and support for usability test plans and works with other members of the team to ensure the relational database management system (RDBMS) supports proposed functionality;
Coordinates with team members to develop and install application software and database connectivity and assists with developing testing prototypes;
Defines, with the technical infrastructure team, the hardware, network and operating system (OS) environment to fulfill enterprise applications needs;
Manages the technology components of medium to large projects;
Establishes procedures for program migration, database changes and menu changes;
Leads technical and non-technical staff in complex or unique technical system and database related projects;
Database Design and Modeling
Analyzes business process and data requirements to develop data models and specifications and assists with the design of robust, high performance, data driven application solutions;
Assists development team with preliminary database designs;
Participates in the development of database requirements and design specifications;
Models database systems, transforms database models and entities into database objects, implements database changes based on application development or enhancements;
Defines data management systems environment procedures and practices;
Assists in developing and justifying data management environment to support enterprise business goals;
Assists in updating standards manuals for the systems development life cycle, security, system performance and system deployment;
Database Administration, Maintenance and Support
Installs database software and creates, configures and sizes databases to meet application requirements within environments standards;
Develops database backup/recovery processes appropriate to deployed environment;
Automates and oversees the monitoring of database performance and growth;
Provides input to, and executes, processes and procedures to rebuild indexes, reorganize extents and coalesce table spaces;
Coordinates, monitors and documents the windows of process execution and inter-dependencies among databases and servers;
Develops and documents standards and processes to ensure that common practices are maintained across the production environment;
Performs database software upgrades and data/database migrations as required to support application needs;
Creates and maintains technical system and data base environments for full life cycle development and maintenance;
Analyzes, evaluates and coordinates resolution and implementation of specific technical system and database support components within the IT support environment;
Leads development of technical system, database and/or IT support components to enhance service delivery and support to customer base;
May supervise and evaluate performance of assigned staff.
KNOWLEDGE & SKILLS:
- programming languages and associated web application development tools;
- software development and applications programming applicable;
- principles and techniques of systems analysis and design;
- mathematics and statistical methods application to the use of application systems processing;
- data warehouses and business intelligence environments;
- development and maintenance of data communications, security and privacy measures;
- database design, normalization and management, and systems analysis;
- modeling database systems and capacity planning;
- effective database supervision and monitoring, with methods for monitoring security;
- techniques of data storage, archiving, backup and recovery;
- operating principles, capabilities and limitations of hardware, software and database systems;
- industry security standards and procedures and IT best practices for application development;
- IT Infrastructure Library for the Incident and Problem Management environment;
- effective teamwork behaviors;
- project management methodologies and technologies;
- principles and techniques of effective supervision.
- refining conceptual requirements into technical designs;
- transforming database models and entities into database objects;
- installing software and configuring hardware and software for optimal performance;
- evaluating the work and performance of assigned staff;
- training technical and non-technical staff in areas of assignment;
- organizing workload, being proactive and managing a wide variety of customer requests simultaneously with minimal supervision and direction;
- written, verbal and interpersonal communications in both technical and non-technical terms;
- writing procedures and work instructions;
- writing database documentation to include data standards;
- employing quality skill sets and diagnostic tools;
- effectively coordinating and communicating with internal and external customers/vendors;
- employing diagnostic, analytical and conceptual skills with detailed orientation.
- Minimum Qualifications
(1) A Bachelor's degree from an accredited college, university or technical trade school with a major in computer science, computer engineering, management information systems (MIS), or a closely related field as determined by the appointing authority at the time of recruitment, and four years of work experience in software development and maintenance and two years of work experience in the development and maintenance of database systems. (Experience requirements may be achieved concurrently.)
(2) An Associate's degree from an accredited college, university or technical trade school with a major in computer science, computer engineering, management information systems (MIS), or a closely related field as determined by the appointing authority at the time of recruitment, and six years of work experience in software development and maintenance and two years of work experience in the development and maintenance of database systems. (Experience requirements may be achieved concurrently.)
(Additional relevant work experience and/or education from an accredited college, university or technical trade school may be substituted.)
Qualifying education and experience must be clearly documented in the "Education" and "Work Experience" sections of the application. Do not substitute a resume for your application or write "see resume" on your application.
Preferred Qualifications (Be specific in describing your experience in your application. Ensure the descriptions provided illustrate your competencies, specifically addressing the required and preferred qualifications.):
- Two (2) or more years experience (within the last 5 years) in the following:
- Creating ETL (Extract, Transform, and Load) processes using a variety of industry tools.
- Data conversion/migration.
- Extensive use in MS SQL.
- Aggregating large volumes of data.
- Creating and maintaining data mapping documents (ERD).
- Documenting data transformation processes.
Pima County Human Resources Department reserves the right to admit to the selection process only those candidates that meet the minimum/desired qualifications. All applications will be assessed based on an evaluation of the listed education and experience. Candidates meeting the minimum/desired qualifications may be further evaluated/scored against any advertised Preferred Qualifications. The hiring authority will interview and select the successful candidate from a referral list provided by Human Resources. Additional assessments/testing may be required as part of the selection process.
- Two (2) or more years experience (within the last 5 years) in the following:
- Supplemental Information
Licenses and Certificates: Some positions may require appropriate licenses or certifications at the time of appointment or within a specified timeframe, e.g., Microsoft Certified Technology Specialist (MCTS), database certifications. Some positions require a valid Arizona Class D driver license at the time of application or prior to completion of initial/promotional probation. Failure to obtain/maintain required licensure/certifications shall be grounds for termination.
Special Notice Items: The County requires pre-employment background checks. Successful candidates will receive a post-offer, pre-employment background screening to include verification of work history, education and criminal conviction history. A prior criminal conviction will not automatically disqualify a candidate from employment with the County.
Physical/Sensory Requirements: Some positions require lifting equipment, climbing, working on towers, elevated or below grade platforms. All positions require the ability to identify industry standard color-coding of electrical wiring and components. Physical and sensory abilities will be determined by position.