Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Engineer: Intern - Summer
at Prince Contracting
Job Summary: Provide technical engineering information to project supervision and crafts to ensure construction work complies with all engineering standards, codes and specifications.
- Read the entire Contract and Specifications, including all addenda thereto, and study all the Contract plans carefully. Become knowledgeable and informed of Contract and Plans
- Prepare and maintain Technical Submittal List required under the Contract
- Prepare and maintain Shop-Drawings Submittal Log with columns for stages of shop-drawing status
- Prepare and maintain list of all Permits required under the contract and by local, state, and federal laws and ordinances. (Obtain copies of local, state and federal laws and ordinances, as necessary)
- Prepare and maintain NPDES permits and file promptly prior to commencement. A Storm Water Pollution Prevention Plan (SWPPP) is required under the NPDES permit and must be filed. Records shall be kept in accordance with the NPDES and SWPPP requirements.
- Prepare and maintain the Progress Schedule for the Project. Perform periodic updates. If the contract does not require a Schedule, then a Schedule will be prepared for PRINCE’s use and updated with an effective date of the last day of each month.
- Must keep Plans and Specifications up to date with revisions for all sets of the Contract Plans and Specifications that were issued to PRINCE under the Contract. Require Owner/Engineer to furnish a sufficient quantity of revised sheets to update the number of sets that are required under the contract, i.e. if the Contract calls for ten sets, then the Owner/Engineer must furnish ten sets of the revised plans or specifications. The Engineer Intern will keep a Log of Plans and Specification or other data received from the Owner/Engineer.
- Must require the Engineer to clearly identify on the revised plans all changes to the original Contract plans.
- Must create a ‘take-off’ of the quantity difference and changes to the work that result from the changes in the revised plans and/or specifications
- Send the Revised Plans and/or Specifications by email to Subcontractors and Vendors when their respective products or services are affected by the revisions
- Must track Change Orders - The Tracking Log will include a synopsis of the described work, the Change Order amount, the revised Contract total, the date the Change Order was furnished to the Engineer/Owner for signature, and the date the Change Order was signed by the Owner.
- The Engineer Intern must visit the entire project site at least once a day to ascertain what is or is not happening on the project
- Must record each day, PRINCE’s principal operations and the location of those operations
- Must record each day, the Subcontractors that are working on the project, with a description of the operations and jobsite locations
- Must review the Foremen’s Daily Report each day for accuracy and correct cost coding
- Work directly with the Project Coordinator to assure that all project files are organized and up to date
- Must maintain a Log of the Plans, Specifications, and other data issued by PRINCE to subcontractors, Vendors, PRINCE’s employees, and others. Log shall include the name of the entity receiving Plans, Specifications, or other data, and will include the date on the Plans, Specifications, or other data to sufficiently describe what was furnished and when it was furnished.
- The Engineer Intern must maintain a Quantity Log for PRINCE’s work and the work of each Subcontractor on all payment quantities, with daily totals and running totals. Measure quantities as necessary. Records will also be kept in such a way that the final records will reflect the history of the quantities by each day on the job. Must maintain the earthwork quantity by load count, and adjust that dirt quantity when cross sections are completed and calculated.
- Must maintain and track material and supply logs and calculate yields in permanent materials incorporated into the project major supplies and fuel.
- If the Contract allows payment for stored materials, the Engineer Intern will maintain a separate Materials Log for payment calculation.
- If PRINCE is supplying materials, supplies or fuel to a Subcontractor, must maintain a log on such and reconcile it with the Subcontractor on a daily basis.
- The Engineer Intern will prepare letter drafts for the Project Manager, as directed, and will keep a log to include a short synopsis of the subject matter of each letter.
- The Engineer Intern will keep detailed records of claims by performing the following: tracking claim cost codes, providing written Notice to Owner/Engineer per Contract, maintaining a file of all documentation such as comments or statements by other parties, and help in preparing claim damage calculations.
- Review payment quantities with the Owner’s representative per the Contract or as agreed between the parties
- Assure that all requirements under the Contract are fulfilled with each payment application, e.g. schedule update, etc.
- Review the Subcontractor’s Payment Application to PRINCE for accuracy, completeness and compliance with the Subcontract. If the Subcontractor’ application is incorrect, inform the Subcontractor immediately. Require the Subcontractor to resubmit a correct Payment Application. Submit the Payment Application to the Corporate Office for Payment. Provide comments to the Corporate Office on the Subcontractor’s Payment application, when applicable.
- Estimate quantities remaining for completion
- Prepare monthly Quantity Completed report for Accounting
- Perform quantity ‘take-off’ as required
- Order materials for work as requested by the Project Manager. Follow-up as confirmation of all orders by email
- Coordinate Subcontractor mobilization to Project as requested by the Project Manager. Before contacting the Subcontractor, make sure that there is a signed Subcontract of the jobsite file and that the Subcontractor’s insurance certificate is up to date and filed. Follow-up all requests to mobilize with a confirming memo by email.(Corporate Office will provide cost codes for new or additional work, subcontractor back charges, claims or any item of work that the Project Manager wishes to track.)
- Currently enrolled in an accredited University or College as an Engineering Students working toward a B.S. in Civil Engineering with emphasis in Construction Engineering and Management (CEM)
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Proficiency with Excel, Word, Primavera 6, Agtek and Terra Model
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this classification. They are not to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so classified. All personnel may be required to perform duties outside of their normal responsibilities from time to time, as needed.