Sanctuary on Camelback Mountain
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Engineering Department Manager
at Sanctuary on Camelback Mountain
This position contributes to Sanctuary success by maintaining, in good working order, the entire resort facility, including physical building structure, casitas, all mechanical, electrical, HVAC systems and related equipment in accordance with energy conservation and preventive maintenance programs. Also ensures the upkeep of guest areas to maintain an attractive resort.
This position manages all rehabilitation, expansion, and special projects and directs, coordinates, and schedules the day-to-day operations of the Engineering Department and its staff. This position also ensures the safety and comfort of the guests and employees; with focus on living the Sanctuary Commitments and our promise of Care Enough to Do It Well are also critical to the success of this position as a heart of the house community member. This is a Safety-Sensitive Position.
Note: the following duties and responsibilities are not all-inclusive
- Conduct walk-through and visually assess the safe and efficient maintenance and operation of physical structures of the resort, mechanical/electrical, HVAC systems and related equipment.
- Adhere all company required purchasing policies and controls, to include all outside contractor bids, budgets and schedules.
- Maintain effective Energy Management and Preventative Maintenance programs, conducting special training for other operating departments on the safe and efficient use of equipment and energy in the resort.
- Inform the Director of Engineering and resort department heads, on a regular basis, regarding the specific and overall condition of the building structure(s), related systems and equipment offering prudent and cost effective proposals for maintaining same.
- Maintain appropriate supply of materials and equipment to carry out the normal day-to-day operating and maintenance requirements of the resort.
- Maintain organized and efficient administrative and filing systems within Engineering for the timely and accurate handling of correspondence, work orders, reports and purchase orders.
- Maintain a well-defined and organized system within the shop for inventory, maintenance, and storage of all tools, products, materials, and equipment necessary to execute the required activities of the department.
- Immediately available to report to the resort in the event of any resort emergency which necessitates his/her presence such as but not limited to, fires, power or other equipment failures, floods, lighting, or other disasters of similar nature and magnitude.
- Coordination and supervision of special guest requests for room and/or meeting space modification, construction of props for special resort functions and employee relations events.
- Accept screen and interview potential candidates for hire.
- Assigns schedules and monitors the work progress of the engineering team.
- Provides training to subordinate engineering positions.
- Mentor and develop staff to their fullest potential.
- Participates in the performance management process including providing regular feedback regarding team member performance as well as the annual performance review process.
- Holds team members accountable by following the corrective action process.
- Carry out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization’s policies and applicable law.
- Perform other duties as requested by the Director of Engineering
The individual must possess the following knowledge, skills and abilities and be able to explain and demonstrate that he/she can perform the essential functions of the job, with or without reasonable accommodation, using some other combination of skills and abilities.
- Excellent knowledge of electrical systems, components, and devices, HVAC systems, mechanical systems, and the maintenance and repair of all.
- Excellent knowledge of public construction and building systems; all related permits, licensing new and existing codes pertaining to public building and fire safety.
- Skilled in the proper and safe use of all tools, equipment, materials, chemicals and products.
- Ability to stand and walk throughout the entire shift.
- Ability to bend, stoop, reach and crouch for materials.
- Ability to handle difficult situations and guest complaints in a professional, courteous manner.
- Ability to continually promote teamwork and superior guest satisfaction.
- Ability to remain informed on state-of-the-art developments affecting the safe and effective operation of the building facility.
- Ability to positively communicate and instruct employees offering assistance in areas where they lack knowledge, skills or experience.
- Able to rephrase, or translate technical information into lay terms (easily understood).
- Excellent communication with department managers and hourly team members.
- Executes emergency procedures in accordance with hotel standards
- Must be able to work flexible hours to include all shifts, weekends and holidays
High School Diploma/G.E.D. Equivalent
Related Work Experience
Five years’ experience within a fine luxury resort or related industry.
Previous supervisory experience required. Supervision exercised with hourly staff.
Experience in a resort environment is preferred.
Must be able to read blueprints & schematic diagrams.
Must be able to use trade specific hand and power tools.
Must be able to make accurate measurements using technical tools.
Must be able to plan and execute installations and maintenance.
Must have excellent technical math skills including trade specific theory and applications. Must have computer skills.
Must have troubleshooting skills in multiple technical disciplines.
Must understand hotel system components and their relationship.
Must understand energy management and conservation basics.