Steward Health Care System
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Clinical Equip Coord-Biomedical Engineering-40 Hrs/Week-Day Shift-No Weekends
at Steward Health Care System
The appropriate management and deployment of the Common Pool Medical Equipment (CPME) significantly contributes to the overall quality of healthcare delivered at the Medical Center. The primary function of the Clinical Equipment Coordinator (CEC) is the management of the CPME and its related supplies and accessories to ensure that sufficient CPME devices and their corresponding supplies are available to clinical staff for the administeration proper patient care.
The CEC contributes to the success of the business of the Clinical Engineering Department by providing excellent communication and interpersonal skills, supported with a positive attitude.
The CEC will be logistically supported by the following departments: Nursing, Material Management, Transport, and Environmental Services.
Common Pool Medical Equipment (CPME):
- I.V. Pumps
- Epidural Pumps
- Feeding Pumps
- Suction Pumps
- Breast Pumps
- Hyper/Hypo Thermia Machines
- Patient Warmers
- BP Machines
- Pulse Oximeters
- CPM Machines
- Sequential Compression Machines
- Will interface with nursing to provide on-going training to the Nursing staff on the basic functions of the CEC.
- Actively communicate with nursing to help determine and maintain par levels for both equipment and consumables/accessories.
- Will assist Nursing in following established procedures for rotating the CPME between the patient floors and the designated “Dirty” equipment rooms.
- Will assist Nursing in following established procedures on cleaning equipment for placing dirty equipment back into service as needed when the CEC is not available
- Materials Management:
- Will interface with Materials Management to provide on-going training to their staff on the basic functions of the CEC.
- Will assist Materials Management in setting up an interactive system with the CEC to maintain CPME accessories and consumables
- Perform assigned duties in accordance with current Clinical Engineering Policies and Procedures
- Carries a pager and responds promptly to pages for service
- Maintain an accurate and dynamic inventory of all CPME throughout the medical center.
- Clean and tag equipment to established standard.
- Monitor and maintain par levels of both CPME and their corresponding consumables/ accessories for efficient allocation and deployment by performing daily rounds in the various nursing floors, designated clean and dirty equipment rooms, and the patient rooms that have been designated as “home” for certain CPME.
- Track consumable/accessory inventories and submit purchase orders to maintain necessary operational inventory.
- Perform functional testing and very basic repairs of CPME throughout the hospital
- Respond to all service requests for CPME. The CEC will provide “first look” response to all service requests and will determine if problem is equipment, operator, or a procedural error.
- The CEC will perform minor repairs and will send equipment to Clinical Engineering’s main shop for major repairs and upgrades.
- The CEC will provide basic operational in-service training to clinical staff for all “operator error” service call on CPME.
- Instructing clinical users in the proper operation, safety and routine care of CPME.
- Maintain electronic service histories on all CMPE using the Clinical Engineering’s Equipment Management Database.
- Ensure Preventative Maintenance inspections occur on time for CMPE.
- Interface with Nursing and Materials Management to facilitate the rental of CPME needed to meet the needs of patient care during periods of high census.
- Interface with Materials Management to research and present product information, upgrade options, and pricing to Nursing Management to ensure that CMPE is wisely purchased and is operated properly throughout its useful life.
- Assist Materials Management and Nursing in the coordination of clinical trials and evaluations with regard to communicating product information, logistical issues, product warranty information, and staff education plans
A. Responsibilities/Essential Functions:
- Accountable for ensuring the effectiveness and efficiency of operational processes for Caritas St. Elizabeth’s Medical Center as described by CCHCS’ corporate mission and executive leadership team.
- Reports to Clinical Engineering Operations Manager
- High school and or/some experience with clinical equipment or supplies
- Experience in an Health Care environment
- Basic technical knowledge of clinical equipment preventive and corrective repair standards.
- Ability to analyze, troubleshoot and resolve equipment repairs is critical to success in this role.
- Knowledge of computers, electrical, electronic and mechanical principles required.
- Ability to explain and demonstrate the correct operation of clinical equipment to medical personnel required.
- Knowledge of clinical equipment preventive and corrective repair standards.
Equal Opportunity Employer Minorities/Women/Veterans/Disabled