The Geo Group
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
FIRMWARE ENGINEER, SR.
at The Geo Group
Facility: BOULDER HEADQUARTERS - EM
Compensation Bonus (if applicable):
Equal Opportunity Employer.
Using a thorough knowledge of current embedded software techniques and capabilities, develops and modifies embedded software programs of a high degree of complexity and scope and to provide technical support to applications, programmers, and developers. Develops and determines the most efficient use of available hardware through effective use of software programs and routines.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
- Designs, develops and documents technical aspects of embedded software systems and related hardware interface components for Company products.
- Maintains current knowledge of new embedded software technology and advanced knowledge of electronic monitoring industry and user trends for Company products.
- Prepares and provides product training for Company support personnel as needed.
- Develops functional specifications for Company designed products
- Provides technical expertise and proactive solutions for product and process improvements.
- Assists department members with technical advice.
- Provides technical support to applications programmers and software developers.
- Studies available embedded software and makes recommendations concerning purchase of software packages from vendors or development of in-house programs.
- Participates in the project planning process and suggests ways to compete projects on time.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor Degree in Engineering, Computer Science or related field.
- At least seven (7) years of engineering or programming experience.
- In-depth knowledge of multi-user, multi-tasking embedded software capabilities and constraints.
- At least seven (7) years of experience with C/C++ programming.
- Thorough familiarity with the product development life cycle and extensive hands-on experience with multiple methodologies.
- Outstanding technical and analytical skills. Ability to provide technical mentoring to peers, evaluate technical alternatives and provide technical recommendations to management.
- Extensive ability analyzing, troubleshooting and resolving complex technical problems.
- Detailed knowledge of project management techniques and practices, including time/cost estimating, scheduling.
- Proficiency in building development work plans for self and team.
- Ability to prioritize and lead multiple tasks.
- Ability to develop timely, creative, working embedded software-oriented solutions to specific end-user problems while remaining within the context of overall product specification.
- Outstanding written and oral communication skills. Ability to clearly and professionally communicate with business users, team members and management. Ability to produce clear documentation and reports that can be understood by both technical and non-technical audience.
- Excellent customer service skills.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality with regard to information stored in operational databases.
- Ability to work with computers and the necessary software typically used by the department.